Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My German fanbase

My article on post-irony has received some international attention.

I know have a German fanbase. This is even more interesting than the simple fact that I possess a German fanbase because I acquired them prior to obtaining a familial fanbase.

"Fan" might be the wrong word to use here, since the two Germans (or Austrians, I'm not really sure) who read my article both seemed to dislike it. Part of the problem has been my inability to speak German and the rough-edgedness of Google translator, but I also suspect that the Germans and I have a different definition of the issue being discussed.

Here are the very poorly translated comments the Germans gave me:

Commenter A:
I find odd ... he sees as a postmodern ironic indeed a tightening of the ironic, the good stuff fades completely. clearly are also "stupid" things to experience again a revival, but this is not necessarily postironisch. are at least t-shirts with stupid sayings for me, the sheer irony of the times for taking up what he calls. you are hit with such a shirt even a stamp, which is rarely true with something to do, what you really is or what you really want to say. I am slow to ask is whether it is at all feasible, a universal definition of post-Irony to create self-irony of this is not really succeeded, but because everyone somehow his own presentation of these well understood and will probably always have .

Commenter B:
I can only agree with you ..
did the post / link posted to the bewildering range to show what post-irony, and everything is subsumed, or for what purpose, and illustrations of more or less current sensitivities to PI zurechtgebogen abused.
itself, I think the author of this post is highly ironic and sarcastic style of the late 90s.



Though, fundamentally, the Germans and I agree. My German is a tad rusty, but they seem to embrace post-irony as a way for unlimited creative freedom, since, with post-irony, everything has beauty. While I state that under post-irony, "anything is cool." So we both agree that everything has merit and it's just locating the proper perspective and context to make it worthwhile/cool/beautiful.

The reason they appeared to have disliked it probably because of my general irreverence to their subject. Much in the same way certain Christians dislike the Buddy Christ. Deep down, we believe the same thing, the Germans just take it more seriously than I do. I have survived my first exchange with German intellectual snobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment